Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Switching Over to Canadian Time

To quote my father: "I am amazed how Keira settled in as if she'd always lived there, pets and all. What a little charmer."

That indeed, she is. It is true. Whether the skyping helped, or the photo album I put together, or the little book I took with me about kittens and puppies. Maybe it was her intro to chickens at the Ancient Village? Who knows? But  Keira came into the house with me, looked at all of the animals, was fascinated by them and wanted to touch them. The animals seemed to know right away that she is here to stay. Usually, when other children are here for a visit, the cats scatter. With Keira, they stick around. Othello was actually in her room the other day sitting, staring up at the crib as though willing for her to wake up (usually her door is closed - it was open in an attempt to get her to wake up), and Emma joins me in the middle of the night during Keira's nightly "still on China time escapades". It's fascinating.

Last night I actually locked Emma in Keira's room by accident. She didn't mew or ask to get out. She simply curled up on the rocking chair and went to sleep until I opened the door. Not a peep.

During bath time, Titan actually lies with his chin resting on the tub so he can keep an eye on what's going on. He is most concerned that Keira is alright.

Keira seems to take two steps forward and one step back in terms of switching to Canadian time. She is on a schedule but night times are hit and miss. Beggars can't be choosers though! It is only Tuesday and she is sleeping in her own crib, in her own room so I'll take the nights that she's up three times. I've gradually moved her bedtime earlier each night. On Friday/Saturday she slept from 3:00 in the morning to 2:00 in the afternoon. I figured she'd had quite the grueling night before so let her sleep. Saturday was a pretty good night but Sunday night she slept for four hours but was then up at 2:00 and again at 4:30 at which time she decided she (meaning WE) were UP. Last night we were up three times, the last time being 3:00, then she slept through to 8:30. We'll see what tonight brings. She was in bed at 8:45. In China she was sleeping through the night no problem......wonder if we'll get back to that eventually? I have to be strict about her napping schedule during the day otherwise she'd sleep the day away at the moment. On more than one occasion she has fallen asleep in the exersaucer. It's hard work all this play and exercise plus being in a totally different time zone!

Everyday I see progress. She mimics like you wouldn't believe and will sit on her own for almost ten minutes at a time. Problem is, she doesn't know how to get herself out of the sitting position! ;-)


What else is there to do at 4:30 in the morning? Mom's folding my laundry while I'm playing. I think that's a pretty good deal - don't you?





When I have a moment I will post more pictures from our time spent in China. Until now, enjoy some pics of Keira, finally in her own home.